American Red Cross Lifeguard & WSI Courses
Life Guard Course
Ages 15 and up (must be 15 by day of last class). A 35-hour course designed to teach lifeguard candidates the skills and knowledge needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. The course content and activities prepare candidates to recognize and respond quickly to emergencies and prevent drownings and injuries. Upon successful Completion, candidates will receive an American Red Cross certification in Lifeguarding, First Aid, CPR for the professional rescuer and AED training.
The minimum number of students needed to hold this course is six; 100% attendance is required. No maximum enrollment. Candidates must pass a Prerequisites skills test on the first day of class.
It is highly recommended you prepare yourself for the lifeguard course and prerequisite skills. By securing your spot with a $50 deposit (or full payment) in the Lifeguard Training course, you are eligible to utilize our Lap Swim schedule for conditioning and endurance training.
Candidate must successfully:
Swim 300 yards continuously, using these strokes in the following order:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing.
- Candidates may swim using front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both.
- Swimming on the back or side is not allowed.
- Swim goggles may be used.
Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are NOT allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10 pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface. Candidates should NOT swim the distance under the water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Tread water for 2 minutes using only legs. (Place hands under the armpits.)
Life Guard Recertificaiton/Review Course
Individuals that possess a current lifeguarding/First AId/CPR/AED or Shallow Water Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED certificate may participate in a review/recertification course. This course is designed for those individuals that are looking to renew their lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED certifications before they expire. The purpose of a review course is to give individuals the opportunity to review the course content wtihin a formal course setting. The review course format optimizes a participant's ability to successfully complete the knowledge and skills evalutaions.
Water Safety Instructor Course
Ages 16 and up (must be 16 by day of last class). This 35-hour course provides the necessary training for candidates to become certified as Water Safety Instructors.
Includes American Red Cross Fundamentals of Instructor Training (anyone who has had this training before will be excused from this part of the course). Certification is valid as long as you teach at least one course every two years.
The minimum number of students needed to hold this course is six; maximum enrollment is 10. Prerequisites - participants must have a Learn to Swim Level 5 or ability or better.
- WSI course $325.
- Lifeguard Course $275
- Lifeguard Review/Recertification (must posses current lifeguard certification) $175
Dates and Times
- Lifeguard Session 1 runs Tuesday and Thursday evenings 6:00pm-9:00pm. Starting Tuesday March 24, 2015 running through, Thursday April 30, 2015. Note: There will be no class Tuesday April 21 or Thursday April 23, 2015 during Conval School Vacation. REGISTER
- Lifeguard Session 2 runs Tuesday and Thursday evenings 6:00pm-9:00pm. Starting Tuesday May 5, 2015 running through, Thursday June 4, 2015. REGISTER
- Lifeguard Session 3 (INTENSIVE CLASS) runs Monday, June 22, 2015 through Friday, June 26, 2015, 9am-5pm everyday. REGISTER PLEASE CALL 547-1870, only a few spots left!
- Lifeguard REVIEW/RECERTIFICATION Session 1 (must posses current lifeguard certification) Runs Tuesday and Thursday evenings 6:00pm-9:30pm. Starting Tuesday March 10, 2015 running through, Thursday March 19, 2015. REGISTER
- Lifeguard REVIEW/RECERTIFICATION Session 2 (must posses current lifeguard certification) Runs Tuesday and Thursday evenings 6:00pm-9:30pm. Starting Tuesday June 9, 2015 running through, Thursday June 18, 2015. REGISTER
- WSI Class Runs Monday, June 22, 2015 through Friday, June 26, 2015, 9am-5pm everyday. (dates subject to change with snow day make-ups) REGISTER
Make up classes due to CROTCHED MOUNTAIN CANCELLATIONS will be made up the week following the end of the enrolled session, or for the week-long intensive classes the class may need to add days into the weekend for completion. Classes missed by individuals are not refundable, 100% attendance is required for both the lifeguard and WSI classes. Credit for programs will be given to those who need to cancel a registration.